General Assembly Minutes October 16, 2011

All General Assembly minutes are posted here for your review.

General Assembly Minutes October 16, 2011

Postby gnyfnwks » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Google Docs link
OccupySacto WP link

OccupySacramento General Assembly 10/16/11 5:30pm

AGENDA
I. Welcome/Intros
a. Consensus Building Intro/Hang Signals Review
b. Previous Consensus Decisions
II. Proposals (old business to be voted on)
III. Motions (new business to be voted on at next GA)
IV. Committee Reportbacks (past activity)
V. Announcements (future activity)
VI. Adjournment

Facilitators: Sara Beth (moderator), Deb (minutes), Matt (stack), David and Taylor (vote count)

GENERAL ASSEMBLY BEGIN

I. Welcome/Intros
- Agenda review (on the people's mic!)
a. Hang signals review
- Explanation of stack line, will form on right side, will take name and point to keep on topic,
will announce when stack is closing
b. Previous consensus
- singal ga at 5:30
- 2/3rd vote for consensus
- All new motions brought up at GA cannot be voted on till next GA.
- formal adoption of NYC list of grievances
II. Motions (old business to be voted on)
a. "C" - Proposes a scheduling committee
- to avoid confusion
- don't need a lot of formality
- once the schedule is set it should not be changed
- in advance set up schedule that is flexible to change through that committee
Open a stack? No
VOTE: Should we form a scheduling committee?
Yea: 54
Nay: none
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
b. Russell - not here - motion to use peoples mic for all GAs tabled
c. Erin: - Proposal to form a peacekeeping committee
- would report at every GA
- in contact with legal and police liasons
- we do have a safety committee
question: is there a difference between safety and peackeeping?
question: more info on function of peacekeeping committee?
- safety committee dedicated to ensuring everyone is safe.
- motion is to direct committee to report back and be more transparent
open stack? no
VOTE: Direct security/peacekeeping committee to reportback at every GA and to work with legal and
police liasons.
Yea: 39
Nay: 6
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
d. Carter - not here - motion to create committee to draft local sacramento statment is tabled.
e. Martha - not tabled - motion tabled.
f. Ted - proposes to use street canvassingOccupySacramento General Assembly 10/16/11 5:30pm

AGENDA
I. Welcome/Intros
a. Consensus Building Intro/Hang Signals Review
b. Previous Consensus Decisions
II. Proposals (old business to be voted on)
III. Motions (new business to be voted on at next GA)
IV. Committee Reportbacks (past activity)
V. Announcements (future activity)
VI. Adjournment

Facilitators: Sara Beth (moderator), Deb (minutes), Matt (stack), David and Taylor (vote count)

GENERAL ASSEMBLY BEGIN

I. Welcome/Intros
- Agenda review (on the people's mic!)
a. Hang signals review
- Explanation of stack line, will form on right side, will take name and point to keep on topic,
will announce when stack is closing
b. Previous consensus
- singal ga at 5:30
- 2/3rd vote for consensus
- All new motions brought up at GA cannot be voted on till next GA.
- formal adoption of NYC list of grievances
II. Motions (old business to be voted on)
a. "C" - Proposes a scheduling committee
- to avoid confusion
- don't need a lot of formality
- once the schedule is set it should not be changed
- in advance set up schedule that is flexible to change through that committee
Open a stack? No
VOTE: Should we form a scheduling committee?
Yea: 54
Nay: none
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
b. Russell - not here - motion to use peoples mic for all GAs tabled
c. Erin: - Proposal to form a peacekeeping committee
- would report at every GA
- in contact with legal and police liasons
- we do have a safety committee
question: is there a difference between safety and peackeeping?
question: more info on function of peacekeeping committee?
- safety committee dedicated to ensuring everyone is safe.
- motion is to direct committee to report back and be more transparent
open stack? no
VOTE: Direct security/peacekeeping committee to reportback at every GA and to work with legal and
police liasons.
Yea: 39
Nay: 6
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
d. Carter - not here - motion to create committee to draft local sacramento statment is tabled.
e. Martha - not tabled - motion tabled.
f. Ted - proposes to use street canvassing and street donation processes as a funraising technique
for OccupySacramento
OPEN STACK? yes
STACK
Skittles: First time ive heard of this, main concern is that we could end up having more
"anti" people targetting us
Bob: I'm on Community and outreach, we're trying to figure this out as well, would asking
for money turn people off? (on the street) We do have a donation online, we love
transparency in our group, we would like to focus on choice outreach (not getting in ppls
faces)
Jesse: Table this until after we talk about monetary and resource committee so we can
talk about what do we do about money before we ask for it on the street.
- Motion Seconded
PAUSE: Motion to table this issue until after discussing finance and resource committee
VOTE:
YEA: 46
NAY: 1
MOTION CARRIES
g. Scott - propose to establish a finance committee
- Monetary Resources committee to track donations as they come in and expendiatures as they
go out
- be transparent and put all records in public format
Stack Opened
Christina: This is an open source movement, I think we should be transparent.
sean: From education committee, we want to support this, we want people to learn how to
look at these numbers and learn how these htings work. The finance committee can help
with that by being transparent so everyone can look at it, practice exercises, without
these legal structures we cannot solicit donations without leghal difficulties, I think
we must have thsi committee
John: Supporting audit of finances, speaking in support of motion
Jesse: Speaking in favor of motion, has experience in campaign finances, offer to help
Darrell with finances and make them transparent
Frank: Question: whats the legality of us accepting donations if we are not an official
nonprofit?
- Grey area, we do have an IRS number, not an official 501C3 but working toward it.
cannot accept large donations.
Chris: Who is going to be auditing it? They shouldn't be on that committee. we can't
establish a bank and let members of that bank audit. What are responsibilities?
pt of information: I thin kthose things would be addressed at creation of committee
pt of info: we could approve with caveat that any donations over x amount are not
accepted until bylaws from this committee be presented and voted on.
- I want to make sure that we understand that money is important but we should not
focus so much on finances as trying to work on donations.
pt. of info: if someone is going to donate let them know that the most important
thing is donating time and being here.
pt of info: I'm worried about semantics of "controlling" or "tracking"
Clarification of motion (exact language)
Amendment: and to handle donations and refuse large donations before bylaws are
accepted by GA
pt of info: We do have an interim active finance board, I habndwrote a copy for minutes.
(have hard copy, will type up)
VOTE: To create a committee to transparently track funds and expenditures, accept donations
and contributions and to refuse monetary contributions from a single person or party over
$200 until they can form bylaws passed by the GA.
[Jesse and Scott voluntee to be point people for this committee should it pass.]
STACK OPENED ON AMENDMENT (adding specific language and limit on monetary donations)
Chris: I would like to amend it so that it says any single party not just an individual
David: I think we shoiuld be able to accept monetary donations of any size
Christina: will the Ga have access to how this committee functions and be able to
vote on that or will they be independant?
- there will be bylaws passed through the GA and will report at every GA
Phoenix: money breeds corruption and as soon as we elect a body to control funds we
are participating in the problem we are against, propose avoiding money altogether.
we can do this without the system
Dylan: I don't think we should plug into money consciousness. Don't think we should
open a bank account it's against the ideology being cultivated at this occupation, if
we can get our needs meet other ways we should look for that.
INTERNET COMMENT from jetting: Amend to any person making a donation over $200 cannot
be part of that committee
- will be determined by future bylaws
pt of info: NY has finance committee that reports back to GA, and anything over $100
spend must be approved by GA, available to any member
VOTE ON AMENDMENT TO PROPOSAL:
YEA: 37
NAY: None
AMENDMENT CARRIE
STACK OPEN ON AMENDED MOTION
Skittles: If the committee does not have sufficient transparency that would be a
mistake
Brian: emphasize that not all people can donate time or goods and services, some only
have access to funds, we have to work around the reality of this system
Block Made, person chose to walk away instead of discuss
Erin: Agree with the block, thought my committee requires money, as a movement, if we
fall back into the system, its all pointless and money is the crux of that system.
Proposes to avoid money altogether. No committee at all all major financial decisions
should be put through the GA.
Albert: couldn't decipher message
Jack: Need donations of toilet paper and food, we have ongoing cash expenditures and
we are receiving in kind donations however not of the type that we need at the moment
and that in time those in kind donations will drop off and we will need to use cash
Christina: If you're concerned about how this committee functions, join the comittee,
we are voting on forming the commitees and we can vote on bylaws later.
Alex: This is not authorizing this committee to control the money but track the
money. Of course we shouldn't buy into the system but its about protecting ourselves,
we could have audits that could financially destroy us. We have to be protected by law.
Phyllis: We need to have a committee to control this situation if we're going to be
strong and well-organized
Pheonix: This discussion about hypotheticals is getting away from the point that we
need to feed people tonight and thsi movement is about ppl coming together, there
doesn't need to be a committee to organize, when you add rules people don't get heard
or get imtimidated. Important to promote personal responsibiility and maturity.
Tiffany: I sahre teh desire to move away from monetary donations in the end, but
right now we should be aware of already made monetary donations and possible legal
issues currently, we should have a finance committee at least for now
Brett: We already have the funds, and we already live in a society that has laws
respecting this issue, if we just pocket money we could have legal issues
VOTE ON AMENDED MOTION (Proposal)
YEA: 36
NAY: 2
MOTION CARRIES!
h. Sam - Proposal to utilize street canvassing and street donation processes for fundraising
STACK OPENED
Christina: it's begging, we'll look pretty bad, as this movement grows more donations
will be made, we should not go to the streets and ask for money, if they were on our side
they'd be here.
Frank: In agreement with Christina, the last thing we need is to be turning off the 99%,
get the message out first
Erin: We had a large meeting fort community outreach meeting on this issue and we are
against this motion. we would be the people going out and giving out information and most
likely be the ones asking for money, but we don't have the financial situation even
really figured out.
pt of info: are committees are allowed to speak on issues?
- It was 3 members of the outreach commity, I'll make that a personal statement, not
on behalf of the committee
Skittles: If we could have something sitting out for dnoations that wouldn't put people
off but walking around asking for money will motivate people to start harassing us and
turn people against us.
Sara: I think it undermines a genuine conversation, I think we can direct people where to
donate but not go otu and ask for them.
Ted: I agree that it might not be a good idea to go out on the streets. (Creator of
motion) [Ted can now withdraw the motion or call for vote - he calls for vote]
VOTE ON MOTION:
Unanimous no
MOTION FAILS
i. Sam - not here - motion tabled.
j. Brett - requests his motion be moved up because he has to leave, similar motion to Will - not here -
pt of info: this body has not voted on Robert's Rules, we we may discuss it as a process. Will's
motion is to adopt Robert's Rules (Brett's is to discuss and clarify it.
Should we discuss Brett's motion? yes
- reads paragraph from a short guide to consensus building. Explanation of Robert's rules (I
could not even keep up, Sorry)
- I have heard you all use consensus, consensus "general agreement; group solidarity of
bleief of sentiment"
- Propose an exploratory committee with a specific time frame to research the subject of
consensus building vs. Robert's rukels of Order, and which will bring comprehensive
alternatives to the GA for discussion and vote.
- Motion to table until weekend so more people can vote on this issue.
pt. of info: no vote needed
MOTION TABLED
Will is on livestream, will he table his motion until Brett's motion is brought up on the
weekend. Will wants his motion discussed tomorrow
BLOCK: Christina: this is voting, we should nto discuss this without more people here. We have to
wait until more people are here on the weekend to change the structure of voting.
Brett agrees to revisit this motion on Saturday.
k. Will - proposal to adopt Robert's Rules officially as process of GA - communicating via livestream
- motion to also table his motion until Saturday with Brett's motion, waiting for response.
Will requests that this be tabled until tomorrow, Monday (10/17), but says may table tomorrow as
well.
BLOCK BY CHRISTINA: This is NOT what democracy looks like, there are only maybe 25 people
here, there are 4000 people at least behind us online, and it's not right to restructure
these things without maximum population,
BLOCK BY Brian: Voting process is very important, is this really all of us? Let's wait until
Saturday, I feel strongly that it must happen with more people. Is it necessary to bring this
up again tomorrow?
Block by [no name]: this is important to me
Can we table voting until Saturday but talk about it tomorrow?
Christina would still block: Saturday there is open forum and general assembly, and I can't be
here tomorrow but I can be here Saturday. this is very important to me.
MOTION TABLED until Saturday according to Robert's Rules presenting a motion and it being
seconded being an automatic table.
l. Adrian - motion for big community bulletin board with fliers and information on sister movements -
not here - motion tabled
m. Eric - motion to draft a local declaration
- I think we should have a declaration on what we locally thing is wrong nationally
- can also have a local Sacramento and California list of grievances.
Question: Would this create a committee?
- A committee could be created for that.
STACK OPENED:
Karen: I have a similar motion to create a resolution committee to draft statements for GA
consideration (state, local, or about a specific issue)
MOTION TO COMBINE ERIC'S MOTION WITH KAREN'S
Karen: My motion is not about a specific statement but creating a committee to draft
resolutions or statements of any kind to be brought to and voted on by the GA.
ERIC'S MOTION WITHDRAWN TO BE COVERED BY KAREN'S MOTION
FIVE MOTIONS LEFT
1. sean/ Greg to create liason and logistic officers for each committee
2. Jack -to distinguish working groups from commtitees which are not voted on always (not here -
tabled automatically)
3. karen - resolutions committee
4. Sean - create committee to annoy Ch 13
n. Karen - proposal to create resolution committee that functions as a mechanism to facilitate others
when they want to come up with a statement of principle that they want others to hear
STACK OPENED
Bill: reinforce the combination of Eric's motion with Karen's. There is not specific
direction to the committee, it would only exist to put language to what people want to draft.
pt of info: there is a forum online on the site that functions as such.
Sara: concerned about fracturing the objectives of a young org. that doesn't have all of its
foundations yet. To take on other issues that aren't why we gathered is a mistake.
Christina: committees are a big deal like voting. I disagree with that being voted on with so
few.
Karen: if we can be more inclusive let's do that.
VOTE:
motion to table till Saturday
Motion seconded
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
o. Greg - propose to establish a logistic/liason person for each committee
- each committee has a person to go to to get supplies or information.
Move to table till Saturday
second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
p. Sean - create a committee to follow and disrupt their reporting,
- Rather than a committee perhaps PR/MEDIA can designate someone as they see fit to follow Ch 13
- Channel 13 is spinning and lying, cherry picking footage that is not even related to the
movement
QuestionL: Clarify action this person will take?
- Can be position or person, just to make sure that Ch 13 cannot get any footage to report on us.
STACK OPENED
Christina: this is a votable issue tonight, I've seen good and bad things out of them. Many
have bashed us, we should isolate Ch 13 we should target all negative statements regarding us.
Maria: I totally disagree, we need the media to spread out message. We should engage with
them, not chase them away and give them more negative things to spread about us. We should
explain what this is and who we are and we need them to spread the message.
Michael: I agree with that sentiment. I agree we should have people from Media to brign otu
point of view to the networks, but don't think this should be a GA point of order but an
issue of committtee.
Greg: I agree we've got bad press and we have issues but we cannot alienate the press. if you
think they're reporting bad now, just wait until you antagonize them.'
Motion to table till Saturday
Second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
III. NEW MOTIONS (new business to be voted on at next GA)
a. Marian: I'd like to vote to get SEIU members to join the movement and occupy the union. Motion
will be heard Saturday
b. Michael: Motion to protect Occupysacramento from doing unintended hard to particupants by helping
organizations/groups
c. INTERNET MOTIONS FROM RED
d. If participating then we're not making noise. Can't hear disrespectful to speaker. Motion to
respecft the speaker
e. Ted - Motion to put a time limit on GA and for that time limit to be set by the body
IV. ADNJOURNE
(Not many left, committee reportbacks and announcements will be discussed at next GA.)

OccupySacramento General Assembly 10/16/11 5:30pm

AGENDA
I. Welcome/Intros
a. Consensus Building Intro/Hang Signals Review
b. Previous Consensus Decisions
II. Proposals (old business to be voted on)
III. Motions (new business to be voted on at next GA)
IV. Committee Reportbacks (past activity)
V. Announcements (future activity)
VI. Adjournment

Facilitators: Sara Beth (moderator), Deb (minutes), Matt (stack), David and Taylor (vote count)

GENERAL ASSEMBLY BEGIN

I. Welcome/Intros
- Agenda review (on the people's mic!)
a. Hang signals review
- Explanation of stack line, will form on right side, will take name and point to keep on topic,
will announce when stack is closing
b. Previous consensus
- singal ga at 5:30
- 2/3rd vote for consensus
- All new motions brought up at GA cannot be voted on till next GA.
- formal adoption of NYC list of grievances
II. Motions (old business to be voted on)
a. "C" - Proposes a scheduling committee
- to avoid confusion
- don't need a lot of formality
- once the schedule is set it should not be changed
- in advance set up schedule that is flexible to change through that committee
Open a stack? No
VOTE: Should we form a scheduling committee?
Yea: 54
Nay: none
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
b. Russell - not here - motion to use peoples mic for all GAs tabled
c. Erin: - Proposal to form a peacekeeping committee
- would report at every GA
- in contact with legal and police liasons
- we do have a safety committee
question: is there a difference between safety and peackeeping?
question: more info on function of peacekeeping committee?
- safety committee dedicated to ensuring everyone is safe.
- motion is to direct committee to report back and be more transparent
open stack? no
VOTE: Direct security/peacekeeping committee to reportback at every GA and to work with legal and
police liasons.
Yea: 39
Nay: 6
YEA CONSENSUS - MOTION CARRIES
d. Carter - not here - motion to create committee to draft local sacramento statment is tabled.
e. Martha - not tabled - motion tabled.
f. Ted - proposes to use street canvassing and street donation processes as a funraising technique
for OccupySacramento
OPEN STACK? yes
STACK
Skittles: First time ive heard of this, main concern is that we could end up having more
"anti" people targetting us
Bob: I'm on Community and outreach, we're trying to figure this out as well, would asking
for money turn people off? (on the street) We do have a donation online, we love
transparency in our group, we would like to focus on choice outreach (not getting in ppls
faces)
Jesse: Table this until after we talk about monetary and resource committee so we can
talk about what do we do about money before we ask for it on the street.
- Motion Seconded
PAUSE: Motion to table this issue until after discussing finance and resource committee
VOTE:
YEA: 46
NAY: 1
MOTION CARRIES
g. Scott - propose to establish a finance committee
- Monetary Resources committee to track donations as they come in and expendiatures as they
go out
- be transparent and put all records in public format
Stack Opened
Christina: This is an open source movement, I think we should be transparent.
sean: From education committee, we want to support this, we want people to learn how to
look at these numbers and learn how these htings work. The finance committee can help
with that by being transparent so everyone can look at it, practice exercises, without
these legal structures we cannot solicit donations without leghal difficulties, I think
we must have thsi committee
John: Supporting audit of finances, speaking in support of motion
Jesse: Speaking in favor of motion, has experience in campaign finances, offer to help
Darrell with finances and make them transparent
Frank: Question: whats the legality of us accepting donations if we are not an official
nonprofit?
- Grey area, we do have an IRS number, not an official 501C3 but working toward it.
cannot accept large donations.
Chris: Who is going to be auditing it? They shouldn't be on that committee. we can't
establish a bank and let members of that bank audit. What are responsibilities?
pt of information: I thin kthose things would be addressed at creation of committee
pt of info: we could approve with caveat that any donations over x amount are not
accepted until bylaws from this committee be presented and voted on.
- I want to make sure that we understand that money is important but we should not
focus so much on finances as trying to work on donations.
pt. of info: if someone is going to donate let them know that the most important
thing is donating time and being here.
pt of info: I'm worried about semantics of "controlling" or "tracking"
Clarification of motion (exact language)
Amendment: and to handle donations and refuse large donations before bylaws are
accepted by GA
pt of info: We do have an interim active finance board, I habndwrote a copy for minutes.
(have hard copy, will type up)
VOTE: To create a committee to transparently track funds and expenditures, accept donations
and contributions and to refuse monetary contributions from a single person or party over
$200 until they can form bylaws passed by the GA.
[Jesse and Scott voluntee to be point people for this committee should it pass.]
STACK OPENED ON AMENDMENT (adding specific language and limit on monetary donations)
Chris: I would like to amend it so that it says any single party not just an individual
David: I think we shoiuld be able to accept monetary donations of any size
Christina: will the Ga have access to how this committee functions and be able to
vote on that or will they be independant?
- there will be bylaws passed through the GA and will report at every GA
Phoenix: money breeds corruption and as soon as we elect a body to control funds we
are participating in the problem we are against, propose avoiding money altogether.
we can do this without the system
Dylan: I don't think we should plug into money consciousness. Don't think we should
open a bank account it's against the ideology being cultivated at this occupation, if
we can get our needs meet other ways we should look for that.
INTERNET COMMENT from jetting: Amend to any person making a donation over $200 cannot
be part of that committee
- will be determined by future bylaws
pt of info: NY has finance committee that reports back to GA, and anything over $100
spend must be approved by GA, available to any member
VOTE ON AMENDMENT TO PROPOSAL:
YEA: 37
NAY: None
AMENDMENT CARRIE
STACK OPEN ON AMENDED MOTION
Skittles: If the committee does not have sufficient transparency that would be a
mistake
Brian: emphasize that not all people can donate time or goods and services, some only
have access to funds, we have to work around the reality of this system
Block Made, person chose to walk away instead of discuss
Erin: Agree with the block, thought my committee requires money, as a movement, if we
fall back into the system, its all pointless and money is the crux of that system.
Proposes to avoid money altogether. No committee at all all major financial decisions
should be put through the GA.
Albert: couldn't decipher message
Jack: Need donations of toilet paper and food, we have ongoing cash expenditures and
we are receiving in kind donations however not of the type that we need at the moment
and that in time those in kind donations will drop off and we will need to use cash
Christina: If you're concerned about how this committee functions, join the comittee,
we are voting on forming the commitees and we can vote on bylaws later.
Alex: This is not authorizing this committee to control the money but track the
money. Of course we shouldn't buy into the system but its about protecting ourselves,
we could have audits that could financially destroy us. We have to be protected by law.
Phyllis: We need to have a committee to control this situation if we're going to be
strong and well-organized
Pheonix: This discussion about hypotheticals is getting away from the point that we
need to feed people tonight and thsi movement is about ppl coming together, there
doesn't need to be a committee to organize, when you add rules people don't get heard
or get imtimidated. Important to promote personal responsibiility and maturity.
Tiffany: I sahre teh desire to move away from monetary donations in the end, but
right now we should be aware of already made monetary donations and possible legal
issues currently, we should have a finance committee at least for now
Brett: We already have the funds, and we already live in a society that has laws
respecting this issue, if we just pocket money we could have legal issues
VOTE ON AMENDED MOTION (Proposal)
YEA: 36
NAY: 2
MOTION CARRIES!
h. Sam - Proposal to utilize street canvassing and street donation processes for fundraising
STACK OPENED
Christina: it's begging, we'll look pretty bad, as this movement grows more donations
will be made, we should not go to the streets and ask for money, if they were on our side
they'd be here.
Frank: In agreement with Christina, the last thing we need is to be turning off the 99%,
get the message out first
Erin: We had a large meeting fort community outreach meeting on this issue and we are
against this motion. we would be the people going out and giving out information and most
likely be the ones asking for money, but we don't have the financial situation even
really figured out.
pt of info: are committees are allowed to speak on issues?
- It was 3 members of the outreach commity, I'll make that a personal statement, not
on behalf of the committee
Skittles: If we could have something sitting out for dnoations that wouldn't put people
off but walking around asking for money will motivate people to start harassing us and
turn people against us.
Sara: I think it undermines a genuine conversation, I think we can direct people where to
donate but not go otu and ask for them.
Ted: I agree that it might not be a good idea to go out on the streets. (Creator of
motion) [Ted can now withdraw the motion or call for vote - he calls for vote]
VOTE ON MOTION:
Unanimous no
MOTION FAILS
i. Sam - not here - motion tabled.
j. Brett - requests his motion be moved up because he has to leave, similar motion to Will - not here -
pt of info: this body has not voted on Robert's Rules, we we may discuss it as a process. Will's
motion is to adopt Robert's Rules (Brett's is to discuss and clarify it.
Should we discuss Brett's motion? yes
- reads paragraph from a short guide to consensus building. Explanation of Robert's rules (I
could not even keep up, Sorry)
- I have heard you all use consensus, consensus "general agreement; group solidarity of
bleief of sentiment"
- Propose an exploratory committee with a specific time frame to research the subject of
consensus building vs. Robert's rukels of Order, and which will bring comprehensive
alternatives to the GA for discussion and vote.
- Motion to table until weekend so more people can vote on this issue.
pt. of info: no vote needed
MOTION TABLED
Will is on livestream, will he table his motion until Brett's motion is brought up on the
weekend. Will wants his motion discussed tomorrow
BLOCK: Christina: this is voting, we should nto discuss this without more people here. We have to
wait until more people are here on the weekend to change the structure of voting.
Brett agrees to revisit this motion on Saturday.
k. Will - proposal to adopt Robert's Rules officially as process of GA - communicating via livestream
- motion to also table his motion until Saturday with Brett's motion, waiting for response.
Will requests that this be tabled until tomorrow, Monday (10/17), but says may table tomorrow as
well.
BLOCK BY CHRISTINA: This is NOT what democracy looks like, there are only maybe 25 people
here, there are 4000 people at least behind us online, and it's not right to restructure
these things without maximum population,
BLOCK BY Brian: Voting process is very important, is this really all of us? Let's wait until
Saturday, I feel strongly that it must happen with more people. Is it necessary to bring this
up again tomorrow?
Block by [no name]: this is important to me
Can we table voting until Saturday but talk about it tomorrow?
Christina would still block: Saturday there is open forum and general assembly, and I can't be
here tomorrow but I can be here Saturday. this is very important to me.
MOTION TABLED until Saturday according to Robert's Rules presenting a motion and it being
seconded being an automatic table.
l. Adrian - motion for big community bulletin board with fliers and information on sister movements -
not here - motion tabled
m. Eric - motion to draft a local declaration
- I think we should have a declaration on what we locally thing is wrong nationally
- can also have a local Sacramento and California list of grievances.
Question: Would this create a committee?
- A committee could be created for that.
STACK OPENED:
Karen: I have a similar motion to create a resolution committee to draft statements for GA
consideration (state, local, or about a specific issue)
MOTION TO COMBINE ERIC'S MOTION WITH KAREN'S
Karen: My motion is not about a specific statement but creating a committee to draft
resolutions or statements of any kind to be brought to and voted on by the GA.
ERIC'S MOTION WITHDRAWN TO BE COVERED BY KAREN'S MOTION
FIVE MOTIONS LEFT
1. sean/ Greg to create liason and logistic officers for each committee
2. Jack -to distinguish working groups from commtitees which are not voted on always (not here -
tabled automatically)
3. karen - resolutions committee
4. Sean - create committee to annoy Ch 13
n. Karen - proposal to create resolution committee that functions as a mechanism to facilitate others
when they want to come up with a statement of principle that they want others to hear
STACK OPENED
Bill: reinforce the combination of Eric's motion with Karen's. There is not specific
direction to the committee, it would only exist to put language to what people want to draft.
pt of info: there is a forum online on the site that functions as such.
Sara: concerned about fracturing the objectives of a young org. that doesn't have all of its
foundations yet. To take on other issues that aren't why we gathered is a mistake.
Christina: committees are a big deal like voting. I disagree with that being voted on with so
few.
Karen: if we can be more inclusive let's do that.
VOTE:
motion to table till Saturday
Motion seconded
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
o. Greg - propose to establish a logistic/liason person for each committee
- each committee has a person to go to to get supplies or information.
Move to table till Saturday
second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
p. Sean - create a committee to follow and disrupt their reporting,
- Rather than a committee perhaps PR/MEDIA can designate someone as they see fit to follow Ch 13
- Channel 13 is spinning and lying, cherry picking footage that is not even related to the
movement
QuestionL: Clarify action this person will take?
- Can be position or person, just to make sure that Ch 13 cannot get any footage to report on us.
STACK OPENED
Christina: this is a votable issue tonight, I've seen good and bad things out of them. Many
have bashed us, we should isolate Ch 13 we should target all negative statements regarding us.
Maria: I totally disagree, we need the media to spread out message. We should engage with
them, not chase them away and give them more negative things to spread about us. We should
explain what this is and who we are and we need them to spread the message.
Michael: I agree with that sentiment. I agree we should have people from Media to brign otu
point of view to the networks, but don't think this should be a GA point of order but an
issue of committtee.
Greg: I agree we've got bad press and we have issues but we cannot alienate the press. if you
think they're reporting bad now, just wait until you antagonize them.'
Motion to table till Saturday
Second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
III. NEW MOTIONS (new business to be voted on at next GA)
a. Marian: I'd like to vote to get SEIU members to join the movement and occupy the union. Motion
will be heard Saturday
b. Michael: Motion to protect Occupysacramento from doing unintended hard to particupants by helping
organizations/groups
c. INTERNET MOTIONS FROM RED
http://occupysac.com/forum/topic.php?id=96
http://occupysac.com/forum/topic.php?id=90
http://occupysac.com/forum/topic.php?id=97
http://occupysac.com/forum/topic.php?id=93
http://occupysac.com/forum/topic.php?id=95
d. If participating then we're not making noise. Can't hear disrespectful to speaker. Motion to
respecft the speaker
e. Ted - Motion to put a time limit on GA and for that time limit to be set by the body
IV. ADNJOURNE
(Not many left, committee reportbacks and announcements will be discussed at next GA.)

and street donation processes as a funraising technique
for OccupySacramento
OPEN STACK? yes
STACK
Skittles: First time ive heard of this, main concern is that we could end up having more
"anti" people targetting us
Bob: I'm on Community and outreach, we're trying to figure this out as well, would asking
for money turn people off? (on the street) We do have a donation online, we love
transparency in our group, we would like to focus on choice outreach (not getting in ppls
faces)
Jesse: Table this until after we talk about monetary and resource committee so we can
talk about what do we do about money before we ask for it on the street.
- Motion Seconded
PAUSE: Motion to table this issue until after discussing finance and resource committee
VOTE:
YEA: 46
NAY: 1
MOTION CARRIES
g. Scott - propose to establish a finance committee
- Monetary Resources committee to track donations as they come in and expendiatures as they
go out
- be transparent and put all records in public format
Stack Opened
Christina: This is an open source movement, I think we should be transparent.
sean: From education committee, we want to support this, we want people to learn how to
look at these numbers and learn how these htings work. The finance committee can help
with that by being transparent so everyone can look at it, practice exercises, without
these legal structures we cannot solicit donations without leghal difficulties, I think
we must have thsi committee
John: Supporting audit of finances, speaking in support of motion
Jesse: Speaking in favor of motion, has experience in campaign finances, offer to help
Darrell with finances and make them transparent
Frank: Question: whats the legality of us accepting donations if we are not an official
nonprofit?
- Grey area, we do have an IRS number, not an official 501C3 but working toward it.
cannot accept large donations.
Chris: Who is going to be auditing it? They shouldn't be on that committee. we can't
establish a bank and let members of that bank audit. What are responsibilities?
pt of information: I thin kthose things would be addressed at creation of committee
pt of info: we could approve with caveat that any donations over x amount are not
accepted until bylaws from this committee be presented and voted on.
- I want to make sure that we understand that money is important but we should not
focus so much on finances as trying to work on donations.
pt. of info: if someone is going to donate let them know that the most important
thing is donating time and being here.
pt of info: I'm worried about semantics of "controlling" or "tracking"
Clarification of motion (exact language)
Amendment: and to handle donations and refuse large donations before bylaws are
accepted by GA
pt of info: We do have an interim active finance board, I habndwrote a copy for minutes.
(have hard copy, will type up)
VOTE: To create a committee to transparently track funds and expenditures, accept donations
and contributions and to refuse monetary contributions from a single person or party over
$200 until they can form bylaws passed by the GA.
[Jesse and Scott voluntee to be point people for this committee should it pass.]
STACK OPENED ON AMENDMENT (adding specific language and limit on monetary donations)
Chris: I would like to amend it so that it says any single party not just an individual
David: I think we shoiuld be able to accept monetary donations of any size
Christina: will the Ga have access to how this committee functions and be able to
vote on that or will they be independant?
- there will be bylaws passed through the GA and will report at every GA
Phoenix: money breeds corruption and as soon as we elect a body to control funds we
are participating in the problem we are against, propose avoiding money altogether.
we can do this without the system
Dylan: I don't think we should plug into money consciousness. Don't think we should
open a bank account it's against the ideology being cultivated at this occupation, if
we can get our needs meet other ways we should look for that.
INTERNET COMMENT from jetting: Amend to any person making a donation over $200 cannot
be part of that committee
- will be determined by future bylaws
pt of info: NY has finance committee that reports back to GA, and anything over $100
spend must be approved by GA, available to any member
VOTE ON AMENDMENT TO PROPOSAL:
YEA: 37
NAY: None
AMENDMENT CARRIE
STACK OPEN ON AMENDED MOTION
Skittles: If the committee does not have sufficient transparency that would be a
mistake
Brian: emphasize that not all people can donate time or goods and services, some only
have access to funds, we have to work around the reality of this system
Block Made, person chose to walk away instead of discuss
Erin: Agree with the block, thought my committee requires money, as a movement, if we
fall back into the system, its all pointless and money is the crux of that system.
Proposes to avoid money altogether. No committee at all all major financial decisions
should be put through the GA.
Albert: couldn't decipher message
Jack: Need donations of toilet paper and food, we have ongoing cash expenditures and
we are receiving in kind donations however not of the type that we need at the moment
and that in time those in kind donations will drop off and we will need to use cash
Christina: If you're concerned about how this committee functions, join the comittee,
we are voting on forming the commitees and we can vote on bylaws later.
Alex: This is not authorizing this committee to control the money but track the
money. Of course we shouldn't buy into the system but its about protecting ourselves,
we could have audits that could financially destroy us. We have to be protected by law.
Phyllis: We need to have a committee to control this situation if we're going to be
strong and well-organized
Pheonix: This discussion about hypotheticals is getting away from the point that we
need to feed people tonight and thsi movement is about ppl coming together, there
doesn't need to be a committee to organize, when you add rules people don't get heard
or get imtimidated. Important to promote personal responsibiility and maturity.
Tiffany: I sahre teh desire to move away from monetary donations in the end, but
right now we should be aware of already made monetary donations and possible legal
issues currently, we should have a finance committee at least for now
Brett: We already have the funds, and we already live in a society that has laws
respecting this issue, if we just pocket money we could have legal issues
VOTE ON AMENDED MOTION (Proposal)
YEA: 36
NAY: 2
MOTION CARRIES!
h. Sam - Proposal to utilize street canvassing and street donation processes for fundraising
STACK OPENED
Christina: it's begging, we'll look pretty bad, as this movement grows more donations
will be made, we should not go to the streets and ask for money, if they were on our side
they'd be here.
Frank: In agreement with Christina, the last thing we need is to be turning off the 99%,
get the message out first
Erin: We had a large meeting fort community outreach meeting on this issue and we are
against this motion. we would be the people going out and giving out information and most
likely be the ones asking for money, but we don't have the financial situation even
really figured out.
pt of info: are committees are allowed to speak on issues?
- It was 3 members of the outreach commity, I'll make that a personal statement, not
on behalf of the committee
Skittles: If we could have something sitting out for dnoations that wouldn't put people
off but walking around asking for money will motivate people to start harassing us and
turn people against us.
Sara: I think it undermines a genuine conversation, I think we can direct people where to
donate but not go otu and ask for them.
Ted: I agree that it might not be a good idea to go out on the streets. (Creator of
motion) [Ted can now withdraw the motion or call for vote - he calls for vote]
VOTE ON MOTION:
Unanimous no
MOTION FAILS
i. Sam - not here - motion tabled.
j. Brett - requests his motion be moved up because he has to leave, similar motion to Will - not here -
pt of info: this body has not voted on Robert's Rules, we we may discuss it as a process. Will's
motion is to adopt Robert's Rules (Brett's is to discuss and clarify it.
Should we discuss Brett's motion? yes
- reads paragraph from a short guide to consensus building. Explanation of Robert's rules (I
could not even keep up, Sorry)
- I have heard you all use consensus, consensus "general agreement; group solidarity of
bleief of sentiment"
- Propose an exploratory committee with a specific time frame to research the subject of
consensus building vs. Robert's rukels of Order, and which will bring comprehensive
alternatives to the GA for discussion and vote.
- Motion to table until weekend so more people can vote on this issue.
pt. of info: no vote needed
MOTION TABLED
Will is on livestream, will he table his motion until Brett's motion is brought up on the
weekend. Will wants his motion discussed tomorrow
BLOCK: Christina: this is voting, we should nto discuss this without more people here. We have to
wait until more people are here on the weekend to change the structure of voting.
Brett agrees to revisit this motion on Saturday.
k. Will - proposal to adopt Robert's Rules officially as process of GA - communicating via livestream
- motion to also table his motion until Saturday with Brett's motion, waiting for response.
Will requests that this be tabled until tomorrow, Monday (10/17), but says may table tomorrow as
well.
BLOCK BY CHRISTINA: This is NOT what democracy looks like, there are only maybe 25 people
here, there are 4000 people at least behind us online, and it's not right to restructure
these things without maximum population,
BLOCK BY Brian: Voting process is very important, is this really all of us? Let's wait until
Saturday, I feel strongly that it must happen with more people. Is it necessary to bring this
up again tomorrow?
Block by [no name]: this is important to me
Can we table voting until Saturday but talk about it tomorrow?
Christina would still block: Saturday there is open forum and general assembly, and I can't be
here tomorrow but I can be here Saturday. this is very important to me.
MOTION TABLED until Saturday according to Robert's Rules presenting a motion and it being
seconded being an automatic table.
l. Adrian - motion for big community bulletin board with fliers and information on sister movements -
not here - motion tabled
m. Eric - motion to draft a local declaration
- I think we should have a declaration on what we locally thing is wrong nationally
- can also have a local Sacramento and California list of grievances.
Question: Would this create a committee?
- A committee could be created for that.
STACK OPENED:
Karen: I have a similar motion to create a resolution committee to draft statements for GA
consideration (state, local, or about a specific issue)
MOTION TO COMBINE ERIC'S MOTION WITH KAREN'S
Karen: My motion is not about a specific statement but creating a committee to draft
resolutions or statements of any kind to be brought to and voted on by the GA.
ERIC'S MOTION WITHDRAWN TO BE COVERED BY KAREN'S MOTION
FIVE MOTIONS LEFT
1. sean/ Greg to create liason and logistic officers for each committee
2. Jack -to distinguish working groups from commtitees which are not voted on always (not here -
tabled automatically)
3. karen - resolutions committee
4. Sean - create committee to annoy Ch 13
n. Karen - proposal to create resolution committee that functions as a mechanism to facilitate others
when they want to come up with a statement of principle that they want others to hear
STACK OPENED
Bill: reinforce the combination of Eric's motion with Karen's. There is not specific
direction to the committee, it would only exist to put language to what people want to draft.
pt of info: there is a forum online on the site that functions as such.
Sara: concerned about fracturing the objectives of a young org. that doesn't have all of its
foundations yet. To take on other issues that aren't why we gathered is a mistake.
Christina: committees are a big deal like voting. I disagree with that being voted on with so
few.
Karen: if we can be more inclusive let's do that.
VOTE:
motion to table till Saturday
Motion seconded
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
o. Greg - propose to establish a logistic/liason person for each committee
- each committee has a person to go to to get supplies or information.
Move to table till Saturday
second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
p. Sean - create a committee to follow and disrupt their reporting,
- Rather than a committee perhaps PR/MEDIA can designate someone as they see fit to follow Ch 13
- Channel 13 is spinning and lying, cherry picking footage that is not even related to the
movement
QuestionL: Clarify action this person will take?
- Can be position or person, just to make sure that Ch 13 cannot get any footage to report on us.
STACK OPENED
Christina: this is a votable issue tonight, I've seen good and bad things out of them. Many
have bashed us, we should isolate Ch 13 we should target all negative statements regarding us.
Maria: I totally disagree, we need the media to spread out message. We should engage with
them, not chase them away and give them more negative things to spread about us. We should
explain what this is and who we are and we need them to spread the message.
Michael: I agree with that sentiment. I agree we should have people from Media to brign otu
point of view to the networks, but don't think this should be a GA point of order but an
issue of committtee.
Greg: I agree we've got bad press and we have issues but we cannot alienate the press. if you
think they're reporting bad now, just wait until you antagonize them.'
Motion to table till Saturday
Second
MOTION TABLED TILL SATURDAY
III. NEW MOTIONS (new business to be voted on at next GA)
a. Marian: I'd like to vote to get SEIU members to join the movement and occupy the union. Motion
will be heard Saturday
b. Michael: Motion to protect Occupysacramento from doing unintended hard to particupants by helping
organizations/groups
c. INTERNET MOTIONS FROM RED
d. If participating then we're not making noise. Can't hear disrespectful to speaker. Motion to
respecft the speaker
e. Ted - Motion to put a time limit on GA and for that time limit to be set by the body
IV. ADNJOURNE
(Not many left, committee reportbacks and announcements will be discussed at next GA.)
gnyfnwks
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Return to Minutes from the General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron